Friday 28 December 2012

January Sales...


The January Sales. The best sales in the sale calendar. Massive savings on a whole range of items (not just clothing, but things for the home, holidays and even cars too) means that people go slightly mad when the shops open on Boxing Day. Now, I do love shopping but I could never handle a busy shopping centre on Boxing Day. And don't get me started on the people that queue from 3am just to grab the best bargains! I'm not quite that hardcore.  

I always seem to do pretty well in the January Sales, well, and any Sale for that matter. I nearly always come away with some quality items! Friends have asked how the hell I get so lucky so, I decided to share my tips for successful Sale shopping...

- I never go shopping on Boxing Day. Boxing Day to me is having a nice lie in, eating turkey sandwiches, watching telly, and later on a night out with my girls! Going a couple of days later means that there are still bargains to be had! And the shops aren't as busy. 

- Always have an idea in mind of what you want. That way you don't spend all day aimlessly walking round shops in the hope you may find something. I'm not saying have an exact idea of what you want, just a general one. This forward thinking gives your trip some direction. 

- A lot of shops do discount things up to a whopping 75% off. When buying things with that much off always take a good look and think "is it worth it?" and most importantly, "will I wear it?". Items discounted that much are only often discounted to such an extent because shops can't sell the clothing.

- Sales are perfect opportunities to invest in good quality 'basics'. Basic items are things that will see you through season to season, and never date. I'm talking about jeans, jumpers, LBD’s, heels, coats, classic tailoring etc. Snap things like this up from the more expensive end of the High Street. Shops at the 'higher' end include places like Reiss, French Connection, Ted Baker and All Saints. You may only get a maximum of 25% - 50% at a push at these places but it's still better than paying full price!

- Always take someone with you. More importantly, make it someone you trust to tell you what looks good and what doesn't. Similarly, don't be persuaded by shop assistants who may try to tell you anything just to get you out of the changing rooms and parting with you hard earned cash! 99% of sales assistants are great and will advise, but trust me there are some that really aren't so honest. 

- Take a large brolly with you. Not so much as a rain guard but as a weapon to keep other savvy bargain hunters away from you’re soon to be purchases! ;-)


So, as I went Sale shopping today, what did I buy?

Jack Wills 'Fairdown' Gilet - £98 down to £79. 

Warehouse Cable style knitted jumper. £35 down to £25.

A close up of the jumpers detailing.



Until next time lovelies. In the meantime, happy shopping! x


No comments:

Post a Comment