Tuesday 11 December 2012

MakeUp Masterclass...


Last weekend I did one of those things that you probably should do more often that you actually do. I cleaned my makeup bag and my makeup brushes. Modern living means that we probably don’t do this enough, but one free Saturday afternoon I decided it was time my makeup and I had a little face off (terrible pun I know).

Brushes and bags harbour dirt like you wouldn't believe. And where does all this bacteria transfer itself too? Your hands and face of course! Germs from your hands and the air all settle in Ladies' makeup bags across the country, leading to bad skin and spot breakouts. I know we all get bad skin from time to time but these can be minimised by taking proper care of your makeup brushes. We all know that you shouldn't use out of date makeup, so why let your brushes get clogged up with dead skin and other equally nasty germs?

I usually wash my brushes in either the kitchen or a bathroom. Why? Because there’s a sink and it’s easier to clean up any spillages than in a bedroom. This time I used the kitchen, so do excuse the eggs just chilling in the background :D


I started by locating my entire set of makeup brushes and washing them in warm water with shampoo (the water afterwards was a wonderful shade of brown/tan colour haha!). An inexpensive one will do the trick. (Just like the one in the photo. It also makes them smell nice after with the fruity scent - win!) 



Next, I washed my makeup bag. Again, with a clean sponge and shampoo. I left them to dry overnight on some kitchen towel. And voila, in the morning they were all clean and fresh, ready to be used again!

Clean makeup brushes are the key to good skin


Notes on makeup...

I use a sponge to apply foundation. Every couple of weeks I replace the sponge with a brand new one. Doing this prevents your pores being clogged up and of course, unsightly spots! You can buy loads of really cheap foundation sponges in places like Boots and even Asda so they can be disposable. 

Bin old makeup when you clean your makeup bag. Makeup isn't designed to be kept for ages, and like food it does have a 'sell by' date. Don't keep mascara for more than 3 months and eye shadow for more than 6. Otherwise you run the risk of getting nasty eye infections like conjunctivitis. Look at what you use and what you don't. Avoid wasting money on makeup you won't really wear, because high chances are you will end up binning it anyway. Don't ever look at a bright pink eye shadow and think "yeah I'll wear that" when you know you really won't. 

Don't keep foundation for ages either. The chemicals in it will start to condense and it will not be a pleasant experience for your skin!

Make the effort to clean your brushes on a regular basis, and in time your skin will thank you for it.

Until next time lovelies x

No comments:

Post a Comment