Monday 1 April 2013

Cuba Libre...

Happy Easter everyone! I hope everyone has had a nice long weekend, and eaten lots of chocolate! I think it comes a sign that I'm fast growing up, I was more excited by the four day weekend than the chocolate ;-)

I thought I would share with you some pictures of my recent holiday to Cuba. This holiday was a slightly special one, the first one I'd been on with my parents since I was about, oh 17! It was also a long time coming. We pretty much booked it a year in advance!

For those not in the know about Cuba, it is unlike any other place you will go to. A trade embargo operating on the country means that a lot of things you and I take for granted (toothpaste, tampons etc) aren't available. Cubans are masters at the phrase "make to and mend" - you name it, they have found a substitute for it. Politics aside, it is unlike any place you will go to because of the sheer fact it literally has everything, sea, beaches, mountains, countryside, and of course that wonderful Caribbean climate!

We stayed in the South of the island at the "Paradisus Rio de Oro" Resort and Spa Hotel in Guardelavaca, Holguin Province. (A must stay place; it really is a wonderful hotel.) Sadly, we were too far to visit Havana, but we still saw the two biggest cities after Havana. 

They say a picture tells a thousand words, so here are some of my highlights of possibly the best holiday I've been on so far in my travelling life:

Our Hotel



Santiago De Cuba
Fidel Castro's birthplace
Mountains
On our last day! :-(

A traditional Cuban cigar factory
An old sugar cane plantation
Holguin
Holguin
Santiago De Cuba




Santiago De Cuba

Old American cars are everywhere in the cities!

No comments:

Post a Comment