Tuesday 17 April 2012

Hard As Nails...

I've seen so many bloggers of late doing fabulous nail art designs! Sadly, I however am rubbish at any kind of art, and lack the time & patience to do intricate nail art (one of these days I may have a go though). But, I still felt inspired. For me, it’s all about doing something a little bit different. A thought came to me when I couldn't decide between two colours to paint my nails with. I'm used to painting my nails one colour, but I thought let’s do two! I decided to take inspiration from the recent nail trend of painting the third finger (ring finger) on each hand a totally different colour to the rest of your manicure. But, then I decided to add a slight more splash and thought why not paint my thumbs that colour as well?

Notes on nails...

- Below is a picture of all that I used to do this manicure. Of course, if you have nail varnish on already you'll have to remove it, and if your cuticles need pushing back do that too.



- I always do a quick file of my nails before I paint them just to keep them in check. I file mine so they are a 'square' shape, but depending on your nail shape you can file them 'oval' or 'squoval' - a mixture of the two.

- Hand & nail cream is a must! I always put some on either before or after painting my nails just to keep them soft & in good condition. Don't worry if you don't have any specific hand cream, body lotion works just as well.

- Base coat is another must! It prevents your nails from staining and becoming a yellow colour. I also find that the colour sticks much better to your nails with a base coat on first.

Before the manicure...

- I chose two completely different contrasting colours, both by 'Barry M'. Now I LOVE Barry M nail polishes, I find them great value, with fab colours to chose from, and long lasting! You can pick them up from any Boots or Superdrug store.



- The two colours I used are 'Pink Flamingo' & 'Grey'. Pink & grey are a great combo together, and I wanted the vivid pink to stand out from the more muted grey.

- I applied two coats of each colour, and left to dry while I watched Made in Chelsea!

After the manicure...

Here's the final finished product! I didn't bother with any top coat because I thought they looked okay without it. There was a good enough even coverage not to warrant it.



Overall I'm quite impressed with my experiment. Best of all this idea works with any two combinations. Make the two you choose contrasting colours to really stand out! I've had a few compliments on my nails, and I'm even planning my next two tone manicure combo! x

13 comments:

  1. Ooo! I love this!
    It looks great! & unsual!

    http://gigglesandmakeup.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thankyou :D
      Love your blog btw, I'm following x

      Delete
  2. Hi there! Love the post! I just followed! Could you follow me back and give some feedback! That would be highly appreciated

    beautyfashionbyme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou, and for following too. I'm following you too, and i've left a comment on one of your posts :D x

      Delete
  3. love the dark colour!
    im followed you btw x

    check out my blog xo
    www.lipslikesugaredkisses.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thankyou, & thankyou for following, its much appreciated. I'm following you too, love your blog. I did leave a cheeky comment too! :D x

      Delete
  4. that colour combination is so pretty!
    If your want a funky design on your nails and can't do the nail art thing, why not try magnetic nail polish?
    hannah x confessioncloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou :D Yeah, I've seen the Barry M magnetic ones & I think i'm going to try them out x

      Delete
  5. Heya! Iv nominated you for the Versatile blogger award! :)
    You can check my post out here - http://gigglesandmakeup.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/versatile-blogger-award.html
    Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhh the barry m grey and pink are lovely together! i love mismatched nails at the moment youve nailed it! (pun not intended but ill go with it haha) x
    sculpturedmess.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou :D Haha the 'nailed it' comment made me laugh! I painted them another combo the other day, but it didn't look as good x

      Delete
  7. Love your nails. I don't know why I never thought of doing a ring finger and thumb contrast mani...I just do a standard one finger contrast mani. I'm gonna have to try it now and do a post. Thanks for the idea!

    http://beautyonthedaily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete